Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Where's the River?

"There is a river whose streams shall make glad the city of God..." Psalm 46:4

"He who believes in Me, as the Scripture has said, out of his heart will flow rivers of living water. But this He spoke concerning the Spirit, whom those believing in Him would receive..." John 7:38-39

"...for John truly baptized with water, but you shall be baptized with the Holy Spirit.." Acts 1:5

The sign out front said "First Colonial Baptist Church" and underneath the name were the letters, "S.B.C" (Southern Baptist Convention). I was just shy of 21 years of age on that sunny Sunday morning in Virginia Beach, as my wife, one-year-old daughter, and I visited this church for the first time. It was May, 1974--Mother's Day, to be exact.
I was there at the invitation of Sam Samson, my Navy Communications supervisor. I had only agreed to come if Sam could answer yes to three questions...
"Was this a Baptist church?" (At the time I would not have darkened the door of any other).
"Is the pastor a good preacher?" (Sam's answer to that one was actually, "Dynamite", but it qualified as a "yes".)
The third question was, "Would he meet us out front before church?".
Sam answered right and met us out front just like he promised. In his wisdom, however he had not volunteered any other information concerning how this church would likely be very different than what I expected.
I was saved when I was eight years old and though I rededicated my life to the Lord when I was thirteen, I had subsequently slipped away from Him, into a carnal lifestyle. I had not been attending church for years, but still, the Baptists were the only ones I trusted.
Inside, the church seemed normal by all appearances... The differences became obvious during the worship service. There was no slow, dreary, organ music that sounded more like a funeral service than a call to worship. And the hymns were all lively and powerful songs, i.e., "Standing On the Promises", "Victory In Jesus", etc.
After singing one or two from the "Baptist Hymnal" the song leader directed us to pick up the other hymnal, that 'little red one' and we sang one or two from that one. These had lyrics I had never heard before, such as...
"Lord, as of old at Pentecost, Thou didst Thy power display... With cleansing purifying flame, descend on us today...
Lord, Send the old time power, The Pentecostal power... Thy floodgates of blessing, on us throw open wide...
Lord, Send the old time power, The Pentecostal power... That sinners be converted, and Thy Name glorified."
After a hymn or two like that, everyone just put down their hymnal and the song leader led in choruses like, "Oh, How I Love Jesus", "He's All I Need", or "He is Lord". Hands were raised across the congregation, in obvious surrender and adoration of the Lord--Whose presence I was feeling, like never before.
At sometime during a pause between choruses, a man behind began to speak out in a language I had never heard. He continued for a minute or so and stopped. Then a lady across the sanctuary spoke out in English, a message from the Lord.
I knew in my heart, that the man was speaking a language he himself did not know, that he was speaking by the power of the Lord, and that by the Lord's power, the lady was interpreting. It was not till after the service, I asked Sam about it, and he showed me Scripture that I never read or heard discussed--1 Corinthians chapters 12 and 14.
Other obvious differences I noticed during that worship service, were these:
I could feel the presence of the Lord when I entered the building. There was an atmosphere of joy and the smiles and friendliness of the people seemed genuine.
The youth of the church did not sit together in the back, they sat with their parents or in the front pews. And it was their hands that went up first in worship.
Sam could not have been more correct in his "dynamite" description of the pastor's preaching.... Dr. George T. Stallings had one of the warmest smiles and made you feel very welcome and comfortable, yet his preaching was powerful and by the Holy Ghost, stirred within the believer's heart that desire to enter in to a full relationship with the Lord and to become more acquainted with His mighty power. When his message was ended, his invitation was not only for people to come forward to be saved or rededicate, but to come for prayer--for healing, or to be filled with the Holy Spirit.
Over the next five years, I learned about and experienced the baptism with the Holy Ghost. And I saw how God can become very real to His people and touch them in ways they never forget. I saw first time visitors break into tears of joy, sometimes as they stepped through the doors. I saw new Christians baptized in water, and as they came up out of the water they were also baptized in the Holy Ghost and spoke in tongues. No one told them to, or even suggested they try--the spiritual atmosphere was simply right for an encounter with a living God.
My own mother, for example, had such an encounter on her first visit to the church. For over a year, I had tried several times to explain the fullness of the Holy Spirit, His gifts, etc. This always just seemed to upset Mom, and as much as she loved the Lord, she just didn't want to talk about those things. When on a visit from WV, she agreed to come to church with us, I was glad and simply prayed (privately), "Lord, my mother has the same Spirit of God living in her as I do... Please make your presence known and felt to her today, the same as you did for me, on my first visit."
As we walked back to the parking lot after church, I asked her, "Well, what did you think?".
She stopped, looked at me, and said, "That was the closest to God I have ever felt in my life."
Since those days, I have had the joy of being part of great moves of God and I have seen some great things happen in the churches I have pastored... But here, in 2007, I seriously miss, and have of late, been unable to find a church where He is welcome and manifest in such a marvelous way.
People seem to be more interested in entertainment. There are plenty of good musicians and singers, but many of the songs talk more about personal emotional needs, than the glorious attributes of Almighty God and the Lord Jesus Christ.
When the music team comes on stage and the lights go down--the show begins. And like God told the prophet Amos... You can gather all the musicians you want, sing all your favorite songs, and have church in your own way--but I won't be there, it's just noise to me (Amos 5:21-24 paraphrased). So His absence in church declares the same message today.
Where is the river of life? Where is the living Word? Where are the changed lives and testimonies thereof?
As for me..
I still believe the Holy Spirit has put within me, the desire and the calling to start and pastor a church here in the Morgantown, WV area. I have been on hold for quite a while, however, and at times have thought--even tried--to move somewhere else. Only recently, have I begun to realize what the delay really is... I need--I must have--the FULLNESS of His Spirit in the very first worship service, and in every function of this new church. And I need confirmation of revival in me, personally, before I step back into a position of ministering the same to others. Like Moses, when God said He would not go with the people into the promised land (because of their iniquity); Moses responded, "If Your Presence does not go with us, do not bring us up from here" (Exodus 33:15). I am ready to announce the opening of a new full-gospel church--just as soon as I am fully persuaded in my heart, that God's fully manifested presence will go with me and meet every single person that steps through the door in a powerful and unforgettable way.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home